HAPAS Approved materials are trusted, proven and certified
HAPAS Approved materials are tested to exceed a 5 Year service life
Independent testing by the BBA is a sign of trust in the construction industry
What is HAPAS?
The Highways Authority Product Approval Scheme was developed to offer clear, consistent and tested methods for products and systems designed for use in the highways industry and provides local authorities and contractors with a definitive guide to highway maintenance. It is assessed by the British Board of Agrement, which specialises in the approval of construction products and is renowned for the robustness of its schemes which ensure products and systems are 'fit for purpose’.
The HAPAS scheme sets out technical and practical guidelines that help to minimise potential workmanship issues and in doing so, assures against costly repeat visits and ensures longevity.
In order for any products and systems to be proven to meet the standards of the scheme, they must have undergone independent testing using UKAS methods. Gaining third party product approval from a recognised UKAS accredited certification body is a vital ingredient for construction product manufacturers to gain acceptance with specifiers, building control, local authorities and industry insurers. Such testing assesses the performance capabilities of the materials.
In the case of Ultracrete’s HAPAS Approved Manhole Reinstatement System, the components’ compressive, tensile and flexural strengths, amongst other properties, were tested. The scheme also ensures the materials are installed using the correct application method.
Using HAPAS approved products ensures the following benefits:
- Passport across the network – for first time permanent reinstatements as per the SROH, in particular the Utilities sector.
- Reduces whole life costs – HAPAS approved products are unlikely to fail if they are installed correctly, so expensive revisits are vastly reduced.
- Helps protect professional indemnity insurance – Using HAPAS approved products will vastly reduce any claims.
- Reduces personal injury claims – HAPAS approved products are less likely to pose a risk to the road user because of their sound, proven quality.
- Trusted by the construction industry - independent testing by bodies such as the BBA is a sign of credibility.
- Exceeds a 5 year service life – the Ultracrete system was the first and only HAPAS approved ironwork installation method, resulting in a first time permanent repair with a life expectancy of a minimum of 5 years once in service.
- Minimises split liability – using incompatible products will likely result in failure. Using a trusted system like Ultracrete's will last.
Furthermore, all of Ultracrete’s materials are tested in conjunction with each other to ensure compatibility. This is extremely important when specifying a full HAPAS system which includes bedding, backfilling, sealing and surfacing materials.
If you require any information on our HAPAS Approved materials, or the importance of using such, please do feel free to call us on +44(0)1827 871871 or click here to email.
To view all Instarmac HAPAS certificates please click here to be redirected to the BBA website.